when you ‘Google’ for some information, which sites do you pick to read?
- Probably the one that looks like its an AUTHORITY site.
- The article will be laid out properly so you can either read it all , or skim to the interesting bits easily.
- It will cover all aspects of the subject , thoroughly
- It will be well written, good grammar and spelling checked
- There will be diagrams, pictures and videos to back up the info
- There will probably be references, to back up the facts
- It will rank highly in Googles Index occupying one of the top spots on PAGE ONE
A term dating back to newspapers, but still very relevant today
The Headline and the first article on the page, especially the text you can read without scrolling down, is the MOST valuable space on any page.
If you can get your message there, the battle is won.
Not only on the web page itself, but on Googles results pages. If your site is listed in the top 4 or 5 of page ONE of Googles results ( serps ) for a query, then you stand a very good chance of being chosen and clicked on. If you’re searching Google on a mobile device , it is even more biased, as the screen is so small, probably only the top 3 results will appear before you need to scroll down.
so – it is super important to RANK in the top 10 results, preferably in the top 3 or 4.
Graph of click through rate verses position in serps
The site that ranks at the number one spot gets the lions share of the clicks. 33% of total clicks go to that number one site. Just 16% to the number 2 and so on. If you rank on page 2, you may as well not bother.
How to Get in the number one spot
For a newcomer to get past all the top sites for a given search is difficult. Google (and other search engines) aim to give the most useful and relevant results to their users. You have to earn your reputation. If CNN are in the top spot, Daily Mail in number 2 and other well known sites occupy the rest…. its going to be difficult.
The key is in the query
Trying to rank for ” weight loss ” isn’t going to work if your site has zero authority, is brand new, has very few relevant articles and no links pointing at it.
So start a bit lower down with a “long tail ” keyword search like “losing weight for women”
To be honest even that is almost impossible
How about ” losing weight for women over forty”
Still Difficult, still lots of BIG sites in the top ten results